"A Conversation With Vanguard CEO Bill McNabb"
Vanguard, the pioneer of index investing, saw its assets more than quadruple to $4.5 trillion under Bill McNabb’s leadership amid the accelerating shift from active to passive investment. Embracing the responsibility that comes with such influence, McNabb nudged Vanguard’s portfolio companies towards better governance by encouraging CEOs to articulate their long-term strategies, and IROs, corporate secretaries, senior management and boards to practice proactive "shareholder engagement."
Join as for a candid discussion between Bill McNabb and NIRI President and CEO Gary LaBranche as they address:
- Vanguard’s four pillars for evaluating a company’s corporate governance practices
- Hot-button issues between company directors and Vanguard’s stewardship team
- How the migration of assets from active to passive is changing investors’ expectations of their portfolio companies
- Preparing the board to engage in a dialogue addressing appropriate issues of interest to significant, long-term investors
- Investors’ emerging interest and influence regarding companies’ social and environmental practices and disclosure